The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Diagnosis

I was diagnosed with diabetes today.
My blood sugar was 569.
I had shrunk down to a measly 161 pounds weighed naked in the morning, post-bathroom pre-kitchen. For a few weeks I had stopped being able to sleep because of a constant urge to pee and a relentless dry-mouth and accompanying thirst. I had bought a humidifier, started taking potassium and magnesium supplements for the muscle cramps that plagued my evening hours. I was eating chia seeds for sustained energy and drinking coffee for immediate energy. To try to put the weight I was losing back on I added bread heavily buttered and jammed to every meal, changed my normal water consumption to juice and whole milk. I ate constantly, loading up on my favorite foods (grapefruits, apples, tangerines, blueberries... I like fruit) and having at least one heaping bowl of ice cream per day. But the hot flashes were still there, my sweat had turned from a once mild and sweet manly odor to something foul.
And I was tired.
All the time I was tired.

Perhaps you'd think with these symptoms I would have seen a doctor sooner. But I'm a stubborn SOB who has been the fittest guy in the group since my junior year of high school 10 years ago.

Enough history for now. You'll get more later.

Tonight I post because after a meal of a salad (mixed greens, feta, avocado, tomatoes, evoo, balsamic, spices), lentils (yellow and black lentils, mustard, evoo, spices), an apple, and some roast chicken (chicken stuffed with boursin and dressed with butter, lemon, salt and pepper) and a liter of carbonated water...

...I gave myself my first injection. I f'ing hope I did it right. I know I measured the dose properly, and sticking it in was nothing (although, not to brag, it was hard to find any fat to put it into), but there was a bit of leaking from where the puncture was, I hope I didn't somehow botch the dose by getting only half of it in my stomach and the other half of it on my stomach. Oh, and I forgot to clean the surface of the injection.

Like a total amateur - you vet diabetics can laugh now - I dipped a cotton swab in peroxide and administered it to the puncture afterward. I hope none of THAT leaked in.

So first injection, about 1.5 inches left of my belly button at about 2:45am.

On a serious note I am scared. I heard myself say that to a few people and know it's true. Sure:
"I'll be fine"
"If anybody can deal with it you can"
"Better to know then not to know"
"We'll move past it"

Those are all true, but I'm the one going to sleep tonight hoping desperately to wake up again. Life just got a bit more interesting.

Day 1:

No comments:

Post a Comment