The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Lows... ugh

I designed a t-shirt today: "Diabetes is Life Threatening"

Whaddya think?

Today was another classically long day at War Horse that was for the most part uneventful. I had a slightly scary low about 15 minutes before going onstage. It was my own fault. It being holiday season and all the green room was full to bursting with confectionary delights. And me being a sweet toothed diabetic newbie I decided I would try bending the rules and eat only the protein and fiber portions of my dinner so that I could have a few sweets at the end -- except I didn't have enough sweets. All of a sudden I was shaking like a washing machine and sweating like a sauna. I took my sugar and set a new personal record (NOT a good thing). I remained as calm as i could, had a spoonful of honey and took a few deep breaths. Then I went back to the green room and had a cookie, a Baked by Melissa muffin, and two chocolate covered cherries. My sugar slowly creeped back into a healthy zone and I felt like I had just finished an aerobic love making session. But instead of being able to lie half covered by sheets and fall into a euphoric slumber I had to perform Topthorn. I hope nobody asked for a refund.

Here are the numbers:

11:29 -> 225 5 units of NovoLog with cereal, yogurt, berries, nuts, flax and 6oz of turkey sausage.
1:25 -> 228 Felt a little high despite walking from a further subway stop and beginning rehearsals. Had a clif bar.
3:41 -> 220 Felt a bit muddy, tired and mental focus wasn't in top form.
5:38 -> 115 Post rehearsal my sugars had finally leveled. 5 units of NovoLog with the most delicious roast chicken leftovers, roast veg, and an epic greek salad.
6:43 -> 43 Felt faint and jittery. Had half a teaspoon of honey, a cookie, a mini-cupcake and two chocolate covered cherries.
7:00 -> 55 Still shaky and now experiencing the out of body sensation.
7:21 -> 94 Sugars are in a healthy range but my body felt exhausted from the reflexive emergency adrenaline dump.
8:20 ->118 Finally starting to feel normal. Had some peanuts. Then later in the evening a Lara bar and more peanuts.
12:34 -> 210 Not sure why it's so high, other than some of the earlier food having kicked in.
2:38 -> 140 A good level to go to sleep on.
2:50 -> Took 15 units of Lantus.

Lessons learned: If you're going to skip your carbs in dinner make sure to eat dessert. Better yet, have half your complex carbs with dinner and half a serving of dessert. This is the opposite lesson of what I learned on Christmas day following a 6 unit injection lots of starchy vegetables, a glass of wine, and a slice of pie.


Day 8

No comments:

Post a Comment