The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Bagel - or proof there is a God

I felt great all day today. I got less sleep than usual, but the sun was out and the weather was warm. Despite waking earlier, eating at different hours, having an extra hour of rehearsal and going to a restaurant at night I kept my numbers in a good range. OH! And I had a bagel today!! It was sooo delicious, pumpernickel with whitefish spread. And after eating it (and my usual breakfast) my numbers were still in a good range.

My new goal is to have all my numbers in the right range if/when I get blood work done when I see the endocrinologist this Tuesday.

And I got a crockpot today, a 3.5 quart, 4 setting programmable Cuisinart with very positive ratings. I can't wait to try out some recipes from my "diabetic slow cook book." Or maybe I'll just try something on my own. Maybe a small lamb roast, yes... it's been awhile since I had a good piece of lamb.

###s

pbpk: 176.6
9:45 -> 152 Took 5 units Novolog with cereal.
11:45 -> 108 Had 1/2 a pumpernickel bagel with whitefish. During the lunch break I power walked to and from Time Square. Then at 2:00 I had an egg sandwich, an apple and two cookies.
4:18 -> 170 Feel a bit foggy in the head. Had a clif bar.
6:52 -> 150 Following an hour and a half nap. Took 5 units with dinner: 3 drumsticks, brussel sprouts, 2 yams, mung beans and two small pieces of chocolate.
9:19 -> 121 Had a pack of Pez before Topthorn's entrance because I felt a tad low. Also ate an apple at intermission. After the show I had a few more Pez and a bit of chocolate because I was feeling a little low again.
11:47 -> 185 5 units with dinner: A mexican platter of chicken enchiladas in a green sauce with rice, beans and tortilla chips from "Arriba Arriba" while on a date. Too bad the date wasn't that great.
2:21 -> 79 Feel pretty good but have a slight tremble. Had a piece of peppermint bark.
3:15 -> 15 units of Lantus

So you can see it was a good day. In fact it could only have been better if the date went well. I find that the girl I was with is too negative. She doesn't listen very well, likes to talk and is still living very much in her college years. Everything she says is some fantastical story about some extreme thing that happened in college that made her the victim. Either that or stories of the horrors that happen in our world (serial killers and dolphin clubbing came up during conversation). I would try to steer the conversation to a more positive direction but was almost always interrupted. So I'll keep looking. But the night wasn't a total loss. Looking out across the Hudson at 2:00 in the morning helped soothe many of the frantic thoughts I've been juggling into a nice calm. The seagulls sleeping on the docks and on the pylons sticking up from the water. Who knew you could find so much peace between New York and New Jersey.

If days never got worse than today I could happily live with this disease into my 100s. One can only pray.

Day 11

1 comment:

  1. How lovely! I feel that way when I go to Lake Balboa - especially really early in the morning (6-6:30 am) and the steam comes off the lake and all the wildlife are out - egrets and herons and ducks and geese and lately - swans! So peaceful and reinvigorating. Yay for your pastoral day. :)

    ReplyDelete