The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Monday, December 26, 2011

The ACTUAL Fittest Diabetic

In a letter to my friends from USC crew:

"I've been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes and figured since it was the type of thing I was bound to tell each of you individually when we next talked I might as well break the news now. I have a carb counting nazi living in the place of where my once functioning pancreas was. The little bastard hates when I eat cake or drink alcohol or when I forget to eat before pulling a 10K (who am I kidding, I haven't been on my erg in months).

In some respects it's a good thing. It gives me a constant and controlled setting to feed my masochistic urges. Besides, life was getting much too easy. What, with a weekly pay check and a life of leisure in New York I was in need of a challenge, some stimulation. I thought about getting a dog -- Diabetes works just as well."



And a response:

"you are now one step closer to becoming sir Steven Redgrave (minus the five gold medals;!)"

Gotta love my friends!

For those who don't know Steven Redgrave is hailed Britain's greatest Olympian having won gold medals in five consecutive Olympics (1984-2000). In 1997 at the age of 35 he was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Read more about his experience here:

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for................ the numbers!!

10:56 -> 151 Hungry and tired (but normal tired) from not sleeping long enough.
11:11 -> 5 units. Breakfast: 3 eggs, avocado, bacon, grapefruit, berries, decaf.
1:10 -> 67 Felt muddy and lacked focus. Had a cookie and then an apple and then walked 2 miles with Marla and Jonathan, felt gradually worse - almost an out of body sensation - and then gradually better.
2:24 -> 126 Still felt muddy, hungry and sleepy.
3:09 -> 136 Had a clif bar and some nuts but was still experiencing milder versions of hunger and sleepiness.
6:45 -> 224 Took 5 units before dinner: 6 oz filet with peppercorn sauce, greek salad with guacamole, 12 roast brussel sprouts.
8:48 -> 99 Felt as though I was a bit high, but actually was doing well.
1:27 -> 133 Eating again and taking 5 units. Roast chicken, veg, lentils - delicious.
2:59 -> 124 Feel good and full. Going to bed after 15 units.


Week 1

No comments:

Post a Comment