The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Old, New, Borrowed and Andover Blue

The final day of 2011 has rolled around. In Times Square the ball waits atop the spire like a perfect bead of insulin ready to drip down the New York sized syringe into the new year. The excitement of being diagnosed is starting to wear off and the normal burdens of life are creeping back. Being tired after a short night's sleep for instance, or a rushed breakfast, or not having time to prepare a meal for my shorter than usual dinner break. None of these in and of themselves bring about the end of the world, but they start to take their toll. What I'm trying to say is that today wasn't perfect. I was tired and sore for much of the day. I experienced two lows, one after dinner and one after supper, and one high after overcompensating for my first low.

#s

11:52 -> 154 At least I woke up at a good number. Took 5 units with cereal, then had a pb and j to preemptively fight my post meal low.
1:53 -> 114 Good thing I had the sandwich
5:02 -> 138 5 units with dinner: chicken legs, quinoa, salad. During fight call I started feeling low and so had 2 cookies, chocolate and a sip of coke. Then an apple and a clif bar.
6:53 -> 106 The sugar had finally started rising, except I overshot it and started feeling progressively muddy, with muscle cramps, irritability and petulance ganging up on me.
8:19 -> 271 Waaay too high. Didn't know what to do except to do the show. Had some celery and some apple cider vinegar and made a point of being over-active on stage. Also chugged water to try and flush some of it out.
10:11 -> 227 Coming down finally. Had some almonds in the hope that the protein would slow down any remaining sugar I was digesting, and curb my appetite.
12:22 -> 50 I got to Minasian's New Years party assuming I was still a tad high. I took 5 units and had some ham with cheese, arugula, bread with apple butter, pita chips with hummus and a glass of wine. After the new year and some festive dancing I started feeling my heart rate rise. Excited about the New Year? No, just a dropping blood sugar level. I had 8 oz of coke, a piece of gingerbread cake and a beer. Started feeling much better.
1:19 -> 77 Looks like I didn't overshoot this time. A full hour had passed and I was obviously moving up but not too quickly. I had an apple. I will also have a Lara bar and then I'll go to bed.

And so one year ends and another begins surrounded by friends of so many years that the label "friends" doesn't do them justice. I'm going to perform their wedding ceremony, that sounds more like family to me. We didn't drink too much or party too late or dance to raucously. We wore shirts designed by the same tailor with woven ties and sat on chairs in the corner soaking it in. Twelve and a half years we had known each other, and in those twelve and a half years life had been very good to us both.

I also found a new bag I'm going to look into for my kit. Filson Rugged Twill bags. I may have to put this up to a vote. Filson v. Saddleback Leather Co. thoughts?

From a friend, advice for the new year: "Eat well, enjoy every meal and realize how lucky you are."

Day 12

No comments:

Post a Comment