The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Friday, December 23, 2011

The Luckiest Man in the World

I woke up this morning and felt rested and clear minded. May i never forget the simple happiness of that sensation. My pbpk weight: 170.

For the past year or so I've been auto-signing my emails: "The Luckiest Man in the World." Since being diagnosed with Type I Diabetes I have to say that I still find that to be true. The disease is not me. It is separate. I carry the disease like some sort of nutritionist nazi that lives in my organs. Eat something unhealthy "feel my wrath!!" Eat well, and I'm rewarded. I'm lucky because I was born with a mind that thirsted for all knowledge pertaining to health and well-being. I drink apple cider vinegar for taste, eat a balanced diet, stay active, take cold showers by choice, etc. All of those things are good for diabetes. Some people like history, some do well with science. I do well with my body and numbers. This disease is perfect for me. What a lucky guy.

When my phone finally rang I was somewhere in the middle of fight call for the first show. It being Christmas week the green room was filled to bursting with baked delights of all sorts. The Yen family had brought gluten free peanut butter cookies with chocolate drops in the middle. The Walleck clan brought chocolate truffles and peppermint bark. Ms. Kroger brought "Joey" and "Topthorn" (espresso grinds for color) gingerbread cookies along with Mexican chocolate cookies and an oatmeal cranberry bar/cookie. A mystery tin of Mrs. Field's cookies lay open and wafting. Some Christmas tree shaped sugar cookies were on another platter and tins of open toffee attracted mindless hands. I had already filled a cup with the choicest selections so that when I finally got on the fast acting insulin I'd be able to enjoy them with my lunch.

The call was from the pharmacy. My prescription had been discontinued by the manufacturer. No cookies for me. I called my doctor's office and there was no answer. I called my doctor's cell - on the fifth ring she picked up the phone. She apologized and said she'd call the pharmacy. Two hours later she texted me that the situation had been handled. The cookies remained safely hidden away.

The fast acting insulin pens were $60, making my pharmacy total for the week over $200 (doctor's visits add $75). But these pens didn't come with needles. "Excuse me? But I had two prescriptions."
"It says you already filled it."
"When?"
"Yesterday."
"I didn't."
"It says you did." My blood sugar is now raising making me irritable. My blood pressure is probably also raising. Did I mention it's holiday season in New York and nobody walks fast enough??!!! (sorry...tangent)
"Does it say I paid for it?"
"Yes." Weird.
The bottom line was that I could use the needles I already had for the other pen. But since I had left those at my apartment for nighttime use...

I gave Tom my cookies. :(


Diet: Breakfast: same cereal concoction, one egg, sausage; more chicken w/ veg, miso lentils, sweet potato with bakers chocolate and cinnamon, salad with tomatoes and guacamole; two balance bars, two protein shakes, two apples, handful of almonds and peanuts; Greek salad, spicy tomato lentil soup, brussel sprouts, tin of oysters; one cookie, a glass of milk, coffee and a bit of peppermint bark.

As I started packing for going to see relatives for Xmas my hand started shaking. So I had 4 quadratinis, and a few ounces of ice cream. Thirty minutes later I felt a little better.

Day 4

No comments:

Post a Comment