The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My Anniversary

You know what today is? It's the one year anniversary of my arrival in NYC. A year ago today I had never stepped foot on a Broadway stage, devoured a proper slice, eaten at Golden Unicorn, lived through a tropical storm, walked the high line, weekended at the Hamptons, hiked through the Catskills, road tripped to Bar Harbor, or dated a super model. Now I've done all but one of those things.

The numbers today weren't so good...

Pbpk weight: 175 (that's 14 pounds in as many days)

11:23 -> 157 felt good, but never seem to feel rested enough.
11:40 -> 5 units NovoLog with Breakfast cereal blend and 6 oz turkey sausage
1:36 -> 273 Too high! And I didn't even feel that high.
3:21 -> 159 Felt good. Avoided eating too much after the high reading and drank some coffee and some apple cider vinegar
4:56 -> 81 I was feeling a bit light. Took 5 units NovoLog with Lentils, Salad, Avocado and Chicken with roasted vegetables.
7:12 -> 76 While shopping in a Trader Joe's at 6:11 I started getting strong "low" signals and so I ate an entire pack of pez candies. When next I checked I was at 76. I had a few bites of Seth's mom's desssert.
9:22 -> 147 Feel good at Intermission.
12:45 -> 111 Feel good but hungry. Took 5 units NovoLog with 8 oz steak, mung beans, salad and some chips an hummus.
2:30 -> 50 Heart was racing, and I was feeling very frantic. I need more carbs in my lunch and dinner I guess. I had a half teaspoon honey -- waited, had some ice cream, and a cookie, then had a sip of milk and a piece of bread with peanut butter and jelly.
2:57 -> 84 I'm sure I'm on the rise, and I probably over shot the mark, but I'm not checking again tonight unless I feel funny. We'll see what it is tomorrow morning. Took 15 units of Lantus.





...but I still think I learned something. Lows aren't fun. My blood sugar tends to increase while I sleep. My breakfast usually makes my sugar go up, while my lunch and dinner usually make it go down. This is probably especially true if I'm very active during the day. My worst moments are about an hour and a half after I eat. My best moments begin about two and a half hours after I eat until I next take my insulin. Is it possible that as I go through the day my metabolism gets faster and therefor breaks down sugar faster, while at night and in the early morning when my body is still cool I break down sugar slower? Must test out this hypothesis, gently and slowly.

Day 9

No comments:

Post a Comment