The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Day

Today was irregular. I slept over at Mimi's place and so even though I woke up at 11:00 I didn't eat until 1:00pm. Then I snacked a bit at work but only did one show and then it was only the Crow track (easiest track) so I probably didn't burn through much glucose. By the time I got home and did all the errands I wanted to do it was quite late. So I had 5 units with dinner and then a few short hours later had 5 more units with a small supper. My number creeped a bit high in the evening probably because of my inactivity. Boy are those numbers are sensitive!

And here they are:

11:03 -> 130 Felt good, slept well
1:00 -> No symptoms but hungry. Took 5 units with dim sum: 10 dumplings, sauteed greens, shrimp, duck, taro cake. Had an apple when I got tow ork.
2:43 -> 107 I guess I ate the right amount of dumplings.
4:22 -> 156 I had a cup of coffee and a bit of banana pudding and wanted to make sure the sensations I was feeling were actual fatigue from the show and not blood sugar related.
9:03 -> 154 Not much change, I ate a Lara bar in between the past two times, and another apple but otherwise didn't eat anything until my dinner of an epic salad, brussel sprouts, a pb&j and some red cabbage. 5 units of novolog.
11:17 -> 132 Had about 5 quadratini
1:38 -> 200 Looks like I had a few too many quadratini. Took 5 more units with cereal. If I had tested a better number I only would have taken 4 units because I wasn't that hungry.
2:25 -> 15 units of Lantus.
3:34 -> 155 Good enough, I'm going to bed. I hope it goes no higher while I sleep.


All in all not a terrible day, but certainly irregular. But maybe I can try my theory of how activity affects my number next week. I should try to keep the same level of activity on every day that I work and then on my rest day I'll know to have few carbs with meals.


I go and see the endocrinologist on Tuesday and so I've decided to compile a list of questions that I'll ask her. If you can think of anything I may be forgetting please leave it in the comment section or contact me some other way.

Type 1 Diabetes:

Do you foresee a cure?
Are there any long term consequences of having "lows"?
Am I a good candidate for a pump? If so, how much are they? What do you do if they stop working?
How often do I have to change injection sites? How soon can I repeat sites?
What is the best way to identify myself as a diabetic to others (bracelet? id card?)?
Hypothetically, can exercise replace insulin as a blood sugar lowering device?
When insulin lowers your blood sugar what is happening? Where does the sugar go?
Do you know any single girls with Type 1?
What would it take to get you to read my blog?


Day 13

No comments:

Post a Comment