The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Monday, January 9, 2012

The Good, The Bad, and The Annoying

...and on the 7th day G.I. Jon rested for he was tired.

I no longer have the luxury of doing nothing on Mondays, but they're still the most relaxing day of the week for me. Today was no exception. I woke up wishing I could sleep longer, but that no longer phases me as it once did.

[Remember when you were young and the worst thing in the world was waking up before you wanted to? Those feelings continued through high school and even college. In fact I seem to remember just months ago not enjoying that sensation at all. But now...? Nothing. I feel nothing. The finger pricks? Nothing. Injections? Nothing. Cold showers? Nothing. Waking up early... are you kidding me? Nothing.]

I made my standard breakfast and then went to my first engagement - a massage. Russ may be the most talented masseuse in NYC. He's worked on everybody from Twyla Tharpe to Roger Federer and loads of people in between. Strong hands matched with an intuitive sense of your body make for a perfect 75 minute session every time. He was part of the reason I resigned for War Horse's second year. But the massage was sandwiched by annoyances. First, the CO department of revenue thinks I owe them a huge sum of money for a year when I wasn't a resident. Second, when I went to refill my prescription of bg test strips they told me I wasn't due for a refill yet. Turns out I was only "supposed" to test 4 times a day, but with being a newbie and occasionally getting errors or having to test due to symptoms of hypoglycemia I've been testing more like 7 times a day. This took almost an hour on the phone after which the woman on the other end (a self-admitted diabetic) took pity on me and over rode the system allowing me this one time to refill early. Later when Doc Karen Thorton called I explained the situation and she approved an increase.

Other necessary errands included doing a laundry, shopping for food, going to the bank, and checking out the J Crew sale. I ended up with three new solid colored heavy weight t shirts and a beige corded sweater, similar to those made on the Aran Islands.

In the evening I made contact with Bill Lash. I know our relationship will have further to go but our first talk felt so natural it comes as no surprise to me why he's my father's oldest and closest friends. I look forward to getting to know him better and even hope to learn a bit more about my dad from him. And not just tales of yore, but the type of man my father is seen to be by somebody close to him who's known him for a long time and who loves him. My dad doesn't have tons of guy friends, but then there are different tiers of friends. And I think the bond between my dad and Bill has reached the furthest level, a rare thing. I hope to learn from it.

By the way, it has occurred to me that not everybody knows what are good numbers or bad numbers so here's a quick explanation.

"Healthy" range for a person without diabetes is considered between about 80-120.
Diabetics are usually allowed a slightly more flexible range of 70-150 being considered ok.
Below 70 is hypoglycemia
Above 150 is hyperglycemia
150-300 has been described to me as being unavoidable on occasion especially during times of extreme stress, illness or something else that would alter the normal bodily response to insulin or glucose.
Any number that I include that has a c after it stands for carbohydrate.
Novolog is my fast acting insulin, Lantus is my slow acting insulin.

So Today's:

pbpk: 177.4
11:39 -> 144 Had 5 units Novolog with my normal cereal 105c and a pb&j 42c.
2:38 -> 97 Despite a ratio of 30:1 I dropped almost 50 points. I had a medium apple 15c to knock myself back up. I also had a few samples of cheese at the store.
6:09 -> 154 This is a big jump for just an apple, makes me think I may still had a few breakfast carbs at my 2:38 check.
6:40 -> Had 4 units of Novolog with quinoa and curried eggplant 86c, a salad w/avocado 34c and three chicken drumsticks.
9:56 -> 148 Nice!
12:15 -> 147 Had no reason to check other than I was about to eat, I guess I should have saved the test strip. Took 5 units with brussel sprouts 17c with onions 12c, Lentils and beans 110c, and a few stalks of celery 4c.
12:50 -> 13 units of Lantus
3:23 -> 94 Went down again despite going 30:1, a drop of over 50 points again. I had an 8c 6 oz glass of whole milk and then went to bed.

Total Insulin: 27 units
Total Carbs: 434
Ratio: 16:1

Day 21 (week 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment