The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Life is Good

"Today is a good day to die."
~ author of my favorite autobiography

I love this quote. I'm not exactly sure why. There's something so succinct and terminal, specific and honest. I'm not sure if the quote elevates the importance of death or elevates the value of a single day. One might be quick to read this quote as macabre, but let us not jump to that conclusion too quickly.

Think for a moment, what would be a good day to die? None, you may be thinking, but that's counter productive. As an exercise let's take a step back and think first what would be a bad day to die? Would you want to die young? No, that would be bad. Why? Well, because dying young assumes you die before your time, before you've experienced a lifetime worth of experiences. It assumes you have unfinished business, unresolved conflicts, unprofessed loves. What other circumstances would make a bad day to die? Rain, poverty, loneliness, weakness? Yes, because you wouldn't want your final moments to be surrounded by these lessened states.

Ah ha!!

There it is! Don't you see? That, precisely that, is the beauty of the quote! "Today is a good day to die" because today is a good day! My life has been full, the day is sunny, I am healthy and of positive disposition. So there it is, "today is a good day to die." But...

Today is also a great day to live!

I woke up to a sunny day in the 50s, played some music while I ate breakfast and then took my time getting ready for my first appointment, a trip to the acupuncturist. I felt as healthy as an ox and so asked him simply to boost me up more. He did.

Next I met Joe and Lili for some tasty delights at Baby Cakes. The cinnamon roll was good, the donut was waaaay better, and the cookie sandwich... (I'm gonna need a moment) Coconut butter, vanilla and sugar... thank you lord! I will be coming back to this place, and bringing all my friends and out-of-state relatives.

I was on the rest track tonight and despite doing 100+ pushups and about 40 pullups felt inadequately exercised so when I got home I rowed for 30 minutes. Dinner followed and so too shall bed.

#s
11:19 -> 118 Breakfast: Cereal 100c, bp&j bagel 45c, apple 15c = 160c = 4 units of insulin.
4:51 -> 122 Lunch: Chicken, mashed potatoes 43c, cooked broccoli rabe 7c, cinnamon roll 70c, donut 25c, cookie sandwich 10c = 155c = 4 units.
6:56 -> 92 A bit low to start a show, even a rest track. Had an apple 20c, then at 8:30 had a 5c protein shake.
12:23 -> 70 This is low, but I had just finished a 30 minute rowing piece. Dinner: beans 67, rice 63, salad 14c, apple 25c, red pepper & artichoke tapenade 9c, yam 30c = 208c = 5 units of Novolog (new pen) and only 5 units of Lantus (because the cardio workouts seem to be keeping me low enough).
2:47 -> 164 A bit high, but... I took a very long time eating and felt "low" in the middle. I need not to get distracted once I take insulin to avoid both mid-meal lows and post meal highs. (Although 164 really isn't that bad after a meal)

Saw a documentary film called Waste Land. It succeeded in keeping my focus off the pain of rowing and had the same tear jerking power as a good episode of Extreme Home Makeover. It's amazing what art can do.

Rowed 30 minutes and just over 7,500 meters. Didn't hurt too bad, but my back is getting pretty sore. I'm going to take it easy on my back for a few days. Maybe Thursday I'll do some yoga, or else go for a run or something.


Day 43

1 comment:

  1. Okay - this quote "Today is a good day to die" is credited to several people. I would like to know who you are citing. I have looked it up and mostly it goes to Chief Dan George. Please let me know and satisfy my intense curiosity!

    ReplyDelete