The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Cost of Diabetes: Money

Diabetically speaking today wasn't too bad. Sure there was a mix up at the pharmacy which made me have to get on the phone with my insurance company a few times before finally getting a refill on my test strips, but when I did the test strips were fully covered by insurance. My numbers never got too crazy. I had two short bouts with mild hypoglycemia but they were pretty quickly rectified. Tomorrow I see the nurse again (and tell her that her 20:1 just about killed me). Thursday I see Dr. Thys again who has very graciously offered me a discounted visit price of $450 (down from $650). And sometime before Friday my man purse should arrive by post.

Ns

pbpk: 178
11:23 -> 154 Took 5 units of Novolog and had my normal cereal and a pb&j a total of 152c. Then at 3:00 I had a clif bar 31c.
5:25 -> 189 Took 4 units of Novolog with dinner of chicken and veg with quinoa and sweet potatoes, a total of 90c. At 7:50 I had half a cookie at 9c.
8:21 -> 71 After this reading I finished the cookie 9c, had a Lara bar 30c and had some milk 11c.
12:05 -> 110 Took 5 units of Novolog and 13 units of Lantus and had dinner of 3 stalks of celery 6c, Lentils and Beans 110c, brussel sprouts and onions 30c and a greek salad with avocado 30c for a total of 176.
1:50 -> 74 Not too low, but it felt like it was falling. I had 4 oz of milk at 5c and then an apple 22c.
3:09 -> 139 Good news is I'm not low. Bad news is all the carbs I ate for dinner add up to 203 and I only took 5 units of insulin which means at a ratio of about 30:1 which I've been using I'll be 50 carbs over or probably a full 100 points higher than I started at 110. So, prediction for tomorrow morning's test: 210. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Total Insulin: 27 units
Total Carbs: 535
Ratio: 19.8


Also today I began reading a book that T. Ryder Smith very graciously gifted to me. It's all about diabetes, how to prevent, how to manage and even a few suggestions on ways that have in some instances caused diabetes to go into remission. I'm not one to get my hopes up over such things. But I'm also not one to sit on the sidelines when there's a possibility that something can be done. I'll talk to the doctor about it on Thursday, and may mention it to the nurse (although I have the feeling she'll poopoo the idea). Either way, I'll likely make a visit to the pharmacy for some over the counter vitamin and mineral supplements.

Where there's life there's hope.

Day 22

No comments:

Post a Comment