The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Batman: A Metaphor for Diabetes

Good morning everybody. I thought I'd let you put faces to some of my doctors. So here is what things would look like if the story of batman were a metaphor for my diabetes.


First, Dr. Susan Thys-Jacobs the woman detective who refuses to let it be a simple case of "take insulin the rest of your life." Out of network, though she may be, she is relentlessly curious about the causes of diabetes and optimistic about more homeopathic treatments, including vitamin supplementation. She gets to be Morgan Freeman's character because she's the most specialized. I trust her and she trusts me but we don't see each other too often. She has the most specific knowledge to impart to me.



Second, Dr. Karen Thornton the woman responsible for the original diagnoses. She treats lots of people in the theatre industry. I had hard proof of this on my second visit when out walked the PSM of "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever" Lisa Iacucci. She gets to be Gary Oldman's character because I get the impression that though she wants to do good, she's a little over her head. Her and I need to work together to battle diabetes and we'll both be better for it.


Nurse Linda Haselman is the woman who sees me the most regularly. A diabetic nurse counselor, she tells me about the day to day of living with diabetes. She's helpful for showing me how to administer insulin injections, or a potentially lifesaving glucagon injection. She monitors my diet, making sure I eat enough carbs, protein, vegetables, etc. I always leave her office with some sort of goodie, either a few free lancets or maybe a diabetic cookbook. For those reasons, she gets to be Michael Caine's character.


Catwoman, tempting, provocative, so desirable - not bad for all people, but not good for me. I want it but I can't have it. It's not a stretch to see that she represents gluten.

Finally Diabetes itself:

There's no better personification of diabetes than the Joker. No rhyme, no reason, not really even funny (unless you have a very dark sense of humor). A product of civilization, that is willing to put humanity into life threatening situations. Remember the scene with the people on the two boats? He didn't actually explode either boat, but wanted the passengers to act out of fear and cowardice and do the deed themselves. But then diabetes doesn't really kill you either, it's not dealing with it responsibly that kills you.

... so what does that make me?






The dark knight! I fight the evil within and do my best to protect those who are less fortunate than me. In the words of the MacMillan crest "Miseris Succurrere disco" - which means: I learn to succor the innocent.

#s
12:12 -> 77 Bagel 42c, egg 1c, cheese 2c, soy chorizo 20c, cereal w/out yogurt which I poorly estimated to be 120c = 185c = 3 units. At 5:00 I had a small apple 14c, a handful of peanuts 4c, green tea and vitamins.
7:58 -> 151 Meh, Dinner: Sweet potatoes w/cinnamon & baker's chocolate 55c, peas 15c, quinoa 60c, curried spinach 14c, carrots 14c, apple 22c, salad 15c = 197c = 4 units.
11:20 -> 186 Hmm... may adjust to 50:1 tomorrow and see if that keeps me a little bit lower than I've been the past few days. Had a 7 oz skirt steak.
2:38 -> 180 Oh well, It's slowly going down, probably the work of my own beta cells. Thank you honeymoon period. Oh, and I just took my Lantus, shame on me for taking it late, maybe I should set an alarm?

Day 34

No comments:

Post a Comment