The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Monday, January 30, 2012

Check Your Pie

A good friend of mine and a very talented musical theatre performer from the UK once explained her life philosophy as follows:

"You have to think of your life as a pie. And there are three pieces of this pie. One piece is your body - your physical health. This has to do with sleep, fitness, diet, habits, etc. The next slice is your career, your job, your passions, what you work for, what you create, the reason to wake up in the morning. The final slice is love - the love between a father and son, two lovers, you and your friends and you and the people you smile at in the subway.

Make sure that you keep your three slices in balance and you're set. Remember to always check your pie!"

Today was very much that sort of day.

I woke up this morning and despite being sore from my late night row the previous evening I decided to strap on my running shoes, throw on a t-shirt (yes, I know it's January) and jog the circumference of Prospect Park. My knees were frozen, my hands two flesh blocks of ice and the tip of my nose redder than Rudolph, but I forced my way around the park sprinting when I could, walking when I had to and doing my best to will myself through the 4 mile loop. It felt good to get home.

A delicious breakfast later and I went to the Russian baths for a 3 hour lounge in the sweat rooms. Hot and cold, hot and cold, I daren't check my blood sugar for fear that a combination of the temperature extremes and the two back to back workouts were wreaking havoc on them. When I had sweat out any remaining impurities form my pre-diabetic life I showered, shaved, baptized myself in lotion and faced the world anew.

The final part of the evening was spent eating at an organic and gluten-free restaurant (review to follow) with a dear old friend and one of the loveliest souls around. Catching up was as easy and nostalgic as arriving back at your house and setting your bags down after a too-long vacation.

A second dinner at home and a very peculiar though nonetheless impeccably well manicured film later and the day had come to an end. Some days feel altogether improbably perfect.

Oh, and I found $20 on the street.

Numbers:

11:35 -> 113 Awesome fasting number. Had a bite of Larabar 10c and then went for a 4 mile jog (with some walking) in the cold.
1:00 -> Breakfast: cereal 110c, pb@j bagel 45c, 6 oz steak, apple 15c = 170 = 4 units (with a few extra carbs to account for the run). Then 3 hours at the Russian bath.
7:29 -> 66 A bit low, a sign that I probably did a good ratio earlier, and the hot saunas kept me high, but actually I was a bit low. I ate my whole dinner and only injected before the dessert to give my bg a chance to raise a bit before the insulin took affect. Dinner: 6 oz filet mignon, 8 0z squash and pear soup 25c, vitamins, broccoli, chicken in lettuce wrap 8c, tiramisu 30c, brownie 12c, ice cream 12c = 88c = 2 units.
11:10 -> 91 Second dinner: Baked beans 87c, toast 28c, 9 oz steak, brussels sprouts and kale 18c, grapefruit 26c, chocolate 6c = 165c = 4 units.
1:29 -> 134 Good number: Took 6 units of Lantus.

I also finished my second book of the year today. Sex at Dawn - a provocative and dangerous account of the sexual evolution of our species.

Day 42

1 comment:

  1. I believe you mean wreaking havoc in your 6th paragraph. Also, why am I not surprised that you found $20.00?

    ReplyDelete