The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"You're Healthy!"

"I don't need no doctor. 'Cause I know what's wrong with me."
~Ray Charles

I wasn't what the doctor expected. No sir. "With numbers like those I was expecting... uh... something else." She said fumbling to complete her thought without offending any absent parties.

"You are one lucky guy, mister... one lucky guy." She shook her head at the horror of a situation that was only just sidestepped.

"When i saw your numbers my hair turned green." Not sure what that meant. Chlorine makes your hair turn green. Maybe my numbers infuriated her so much she had to cool down with a swim. Yes, that's it.

"Do you know what your blood sugar has been today?" I did.

"Why yes, I just took it moment's ago in your office. It was a bit high. 170."

"170? And before that what was it?" I sifted through my bag for the printed journal I had made out of my numbers, my highs, lows, diet, etc.

"Here" I said, handing her the papers. "Highs are in red, lows in blue." Silence entered the room, her hand held over her mouth.

"These are good numbers."


Everything else was good too. No sign of thyroid problems, liver, kidney all seemed fine, heart rate was normal, blood pressure was a little wacky (110/90) but sensitivity in my digits was as acute as a healthy person. I was healthy. I am healthy. She didn't understand.

"But something had to cause it. Something triggers it." We searched for answers. When did the symptoms start? I started losing weight dramatically in the beginning of December, but I was already making jokes about weight loss at Thanksgiving, and the week when I visited home, and when I went to Maine. I had already started to be skinny, without really doing anything myself. How far back could it go? I mean, in the past year I can't think of anything traumatic enough to stand out. I go back further and further and finally landed on the night of my birthday 2010, Nagoya, Japan. I drank to the point of blackout.

"Could that have been it?"

"I'm not sure, but we'll run a few more tests." A few more tests meant a total of 15 (cha ching). I also have to schedule an appointment to see a nurse (cha ching). And then return to see her again (cha ching, cha ching!). But somehow we'll get to the bottom of it. In the meantime...

Here's what y'all have been waitin' for!

pbpk -> 178.3
8:30 -> 119 And may I never again wake up this early. 5 units of Novolog with cereal.
10:51 -> 170 Sitting in her office I was getting the munchies and so started working on my pb&j. I finished the pb&j and then during rehearsal polished off a clif bar, had a protein shake, and several handfuls of almonds.
5:28 -> 157 Sat down for 5 units of Novolog with dinner: Veggie and goat cheese sandwich and mulligatawny soup with black bread. Also had some peanuts.
7:31 -> 91 Checked 30 minutes into the show. Had a Lara bar, then some more peanuts and another protein shake.
12:07 -> 93 Pre-supper. Took 5 units of Novolog and also 15 units of Lantus. Dinner was an epic bulgarian salad with an egg and lamb stew with carrots, potatoes, onions, wheatberry and a grain blend. Also had potatoes and onions fried in lamb fat.
2:30 -> 113 Looks like I did a pretty good job, although I did eat slowly so I have a feeling the sugar is on the rise. Tomorrow morning should tell.

Day 15

No comments:

Post a Comment