The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Finding Balance

Today begins the most luxurious few days I'll have had in awhile. Starting with performing in a "rest" track for the show which already gave me a chance to regenerate, I punctuated the show with an hour massage session. Afterwards i enjoyed a delicious meal and watched what I thought was a perfectly arced film called "The Music Never Stopped." Starring the guy best known as the father in Juno or the newspaper editor in Spiderman, it's a film about a man fixing a broken relationship with his son who is amnesiac from a recent brain tumor. I'll go to sleep tonight before 2am (the earliest bedtime I've had in weeks). Tomorrow, if I stay as motivated as I'm feeling right now the plan is to wake a bit early and go to a Krav Maga (Israeli martial arts) class for an hour followed by as many hours as I can stand at the Russian Bath house on the lower east side. I'll have to watch my sugars closely since the class will be aerobic and the bath house will have temperature extremes. After that I'll use my SAG benefit to go see "The Artist" in a theatre and then it's home for leftovers of what I had today. Tuesday begins with an acupuncture session before taking in another SAG screener of "My Week With Marilyn." Did I mention that I don't have rehearsal Tuesday? That's a big deal, and my body and general mental state (which is actually probably an 8 out of 10 these days) will thank me.

I would consider today's numbers a great success. What I'm starting to see is stability between meals which suggests that the amount of slow release insulin in the form of a Lantus SoloStar pen is the right dose. Also, the 60:1 ratio seems to be very close to exact, especially when you consider many of my measurements are close approximations. The only thing that was unusual about today is my lack of activity. I had only one show in which I was "Crow" track, the slowest of the 4 tracks. I sandwiched work with very little activity.


pbpk: 180.4
9:53 -> 118 I did indeed wake up at this ungodly hour. Every since I got diagnosed with diabetes I seem to be forced into waking up before 11. Nowhere on the support groups do they list this under symptoms. The shakes, and sweats, and paranoia I can deal with, but waking up before the sun has reached it's high point seems cruel. Anyway, I had cereal 135c with 2 units of Novolog, and since that's 15c over my 60:1 ratio I might have been able to predict an increase of...
12:28 -> 165 Okay, I did do this check a bit early but since I'm still playing with numbers I check a bit too often sometimes. But the increase from the morning, and only 40 points seems to be a very good sign to me. Those are almost normal numbers. I took my vitamins at 3:00 with 3c worth of peanuts. At 6:45 I had a slice of grapefruit 3c.
9:56 -> 104 Hurrah! 9.5 hours after my last check I'm at 104, that should help out my next A1C. I had an epically delicious but very simple dinner: Greek salad with dandelion greens and a full avocado 30c, turkey chili (w/black lentils, peas, mung beans, tomato sauce and a bit of baker's chocolate) 165c, tortilla chips 24c, apple 20c = 239c.
10:20 -> Took 4 units.
12:27 -> 97 Yay!!! :) This is so close to perfect. I'm going to have the smallest little snack before bed, a half cup of milk 6c, but otherwise it's 5 units of Lantus and then sleep.

Total Insulin: 11 units
Total Carbs: 380


I wonder if there will come a time when I "get the hang of" diabetes. I mean, in some ways I feel like I'm already there, but I'm probably not. I remember back when I first arrived in NYC. I wanted to get my bearings so in the first few weeks I made a point of going all over the island and walking around until I had a pretty decent familiarity with the neighborhoods and could rattle off which subways went where. I had tried a few of the "best" pizza places, had made mental notes of where certain museums or concert halls or bars were. I could convince actual tourists that I was a native, but when people asked me where I was from I didn't hesitate in answering California. Now that I'm over a year in I modify my answer. "I'm from California," I'll tell them, "but I've been in New York for over a year." I see their disapproval partially fade away. I'd say right now the same is true of my disease. I know how to get to my apartment, but once I get there I'm not "home." Savvy?

Day 27

2 comments:

  1. "The Music Never Stopped" was an incredibly well-acted, perfectly arced film. Enjoyed it tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you're not home with the big D yet, but only taking 11 units still seems like such progress.

    ReplyDelete