The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Sleepy Diabetic

To say I'm burning the candle at both ends is an understatement. More like I put a candle on a table and then took a blow torch to it, reducing the candle, the table and half a city block to rubble and ash. I went to bed very late last night and did not sleep soundly. I woke up this morning at the butt crack of dawn to go to an appointment with my nurse where she said in about twice as many words: "You're doing very well."

Didn't weigh myself, too tired to step on the scale. I'll try again tomorrow.
8:49 -> 103 Another perfect morning number. Cereal 140c, 2 eggs with toast 16c, avocado 16c = 172 or 3 units of insulin.
11:32 -> 150 My traditional mid appointment blood check. Did pretty well, but it's just a bit higher than we've been seeing. At 1:30 I had a 12oz coffee with half and half. At 4:00 I had some peanuts and took my vitamins.
5:51 -> 128 Starving and so feasted on 2 Trader Joes cod dinners 58c, 3 cookies (gf) 36c, banana 30c, 5 oz blueberries 21c, grapefruit 26c = 171 = 3 units.
7:56 -> 146 Just checking pre-show because I'm doing Topthorn. I'm so freakin' tired I'm not as body aware as usual.
12:29 -> 108 Seems like I'm still creeping down between meals despite snacking. That suggests that my pancreas is still producing some insulin. Dinner: quinoa 60c, spinach dal 20c, salad 15c, 2 apples 40c, grapefruit 26c, toast 17c = 178c = 3 units Novolog and 5 units Lantus. At about 2:00am I also had three ducklegs. Lots of meat but lots of fat so hopefully much of my glucose had already been metabolized or else somebody's going to creep up in the night. :/ We'll see.
3:22 -> 178 Okay. So it seems like today I'm leaning a little higher post meals. I'm hoping this is just the affect of no sleep. If things settle a bit more tomorrow... great. If not, I may start adjusting to 55:1 or 50:1 carbs to insulin. Let's see what I wake up at.


But the numbers were good enough for now. Next week blood work. The week after that blood work results. I'm going for a 8% A1C (It'd be very improbable to be lower because the average would still include a few weeks of my prediagnosed levels). Two months from now I see the nurse again. In the meantime I need to see a dermatologist, buy a Type 1 identity bracelet, and start working out like a fiend. I can do it. But it all starts with sleep...

zzzzzzzzzz........

Day 32

1 comment: