The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Cost of Diabetes - Time

Good Morning America!

Diabetically speaking today was not great. In all other aspects it was wonderful. The show is coming to an end, 6 more with the original cast, the family I've known this past year. It's amazing how for some it's as if I've known them my whole life. Others are still strangers.

pbpk -> 176
11:39 -> 168 I guess the extra food last night did give me a long slow rise through the night. Had cereal with 5 units of Novolog. Later during the first show I had an apple, 2 chicken drumsticks, a cookie a cup of tea, almonds, and a pb&j.
5:33 -> 96 I felt as though I had managed my sugar level all day. I had a serving of Bangers and mash from the Emerald Inn and washed it down with a Guinness. An hour later I started feeling low and so I dove into a Levain cookie. Big mistake. Levain cookies, as everybody knows, are completely irresistible. They are also very sweet. My glucose spiked.
8:30 -> 250 Despite having a coffee and performing for 30min my sugars were high. I had some apple cider vinegar and a protein shake (virtually no carbs) to try and get them under control.
12:10 -> 15 units of Lantus
12:40 -> 91 'Atta boy! I took 5 units and had a delicious salad (red romaine, dandelion greens, arugula sprouts, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, avocado, evoo, balsamic, spices, bulgarian feta) and some indian curried spinach with paneer cheese and about a serving and a half of TJ's harvest grains.
2:42 -> 59 Guess I should have had more harvest grains. I had a medium teaspoon of honey, waited 5-10 minutes and then had those harvest grains along with the remaining lamb stew. Had some chips with hummus and then went to bed.

Diabetes is going to take time. I wake up 20 minutes earlier every day now because I want time to check my sugar and to administer insulin. I also need more time preparing my bag before going out, making sure I have all my equipment, all my medication, emergency food, journal, etc. And of course I do my best to prepare food for the rest of the day.
At night time I make dinner as soon as I get home but need to wait two hours for my sugars to settle before I can go to bed (and before I can publish posts) which inevitably means I don't get to bed until around 3 in the morning.
During my waking hours Diabetes takes time as well. Today I went to three stores before I found the batteries necessary for my waning glucometer. My test strips are running low again too. I called 5 times to see if a certain blood diagnostic center could fit me into their schedule. Each time I got a recording.

But just as energy spent begets energy (the more you workout the more energy you have) so does time used efficiently beget efficient use of time. I guess what I'm trying to say, and not very well at that, is I'm finding I have fewer hours of leisure each day, and yet I'm making better use of those hours. I'm secretly hoping that Diabetes was actually the cure for my persistent laziness and lack of focus. Maybe this disease was just what I needed to hone skills of self-control, discipline, persistence - skills I've been lacking in my creativity. Could this be the start of something amazing, somethings amazing? Already ideas come at me faster than I can put to use. A diabetic comedy routine, comic book, iphone app, a non-diabetic feature film, a cookbook, etc. etc. etc. I never would have been able to manage all those things before. But after a few months of regimented self-administered injections and a strict diet... who knows?

Just as iron sharpens iron, so does one condition (diabetes) sharpen another (productivity).

Day 16

No comments:

Post a Comment