The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Refrigerating Insulin

I ran ever so slightly high all day today. I never once dipped below 100. That, plus a fasting sugar level of >120 for the second day in a row has encouraged me to take some insulin. I'm going to take 2 units of Lantus.

Now taking 2 units of Lantus and checking for air bubbles with 2 units as directed would mean that of 250ml of insulin I'd only end up using about a fifth, and at the going rate of insulin these days that's a mighty big waste of money. So I went to the web, and did a little digging, and based on what I found I'm going to take the following course of action.

For starters I won't check for air bubbles with 2 units. I'll check with one unit at a time until an actual bead of insulin pushes through the needle. Second, I'm going to keep the insulin in the refrigerator and only take it out for long enough to inject, after which I'll return it to the frige. If at any point the insulin becomes cloudy, lumpy or changes colors I will dispose of it immediately. However, if the insulin stays clear and colorless I will continue to use it until it is empty. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Dailies:

11:12 -> 122 That's two days in a row of waking up a little high. Took 2 prandin with cereal 110c. Then over the next few hours, apple 50c, and pumpkin seeds 5c, mandarin orange 9c and bell pepper 8c.
5:04 -> 110 Took 2 Prandin with chili 80c, chips 18c, salad 30c, hummus 15c, grapefruit 25c, pb & banana 55c.
8:14 -> 145 That's a good number to start Joey. had an apple 15c and pumpkin seeds 5c at intermission.
12:50 -> 104 Took 2 Prandin with brussels sprouts 18c, okra 18c, butternut squash 60c, seaweed 6c, nutritional yeast 4c.
3:30 -> 187 Going to bed on this number, glad I decided to take 2 units of Lantus. Let's hope I sleep restfully through the night and wake up between 80-100.

Day 94

No comments:

Post a Comment