The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Friday, March 9, 2012

Insulin Free

Since this is my second day without insulin I figured I should let my doctor know. I called the office. She was on vacation. So I texted.


(Actual transcription of my text messages with my doctor.)

Me: "Hey Dr. Thys. I started waking up real low and even having midnight lows and so I stopped taking Lantus 2 days ago. Numbers have been pretty good. Is that okay?"

Her: "Yes"


Communication made easier by technology. I am very very excited at how good the numbers have been. And I figured something else out today. I take usually 6 pills per day. A pill takes care of roughly 100 carbohydrates. A carbohydrate provides 4 calories of energy. Therefore any day that I take 6 pills will be a day that I consume 6x100x4 = 2400 calories worth of carbohydrates. Protein probably makes up at least 10% of my diet or around 60 grams or 240 calories, and I imagine I have at least 30 grams of fat or 270 calories. Combined that is a minimum of 2910 calories per day, a pretty good amount for somebody my size. Although with all the workouts maybe I'll start taking 7 pills and eat an extra 400 calories around lunch. And now for further proof of my insulin-free success!

Dailies:

11:20 -> 93 Perfect morning number! Took 2 Prandin with cereal 110c then at 1:00 had 2 apples 30c an orange 11c and peanuts 8c.
5:31 -> 83 Something obviously working! Took 2 Prandin with dinner of lentil soup with quinoa 115c and salad with hummus and avocado 45c. Also had fake coffee 4c, apple 15c and orange 9c.
10:55 -> 52 Low alert! Apple 15c. Waited a few minutes and then had a yam 75c with 1 Prandin, an orange 9c and a Larabar 24c.
2:42 -> 69 Too low for bed. Had a carrot 11c, 4 celery w/pb 4c and brussels sprouts 20c, and a half cup of apple sauce 20c. Going to bed!

Gratitudes:
1. Got my personal days approved in May.
2. The temperature went over 60 degrees today.
3. A productive physical therapy session.

Day 79

No comments:

Post a Comment