The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Thursday, March 8, 2012

No Insulin Experiment

"This is my quest, to follow that star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far."
~ Don Quixote in Man of La Mancha

The results are in and I am pleased to say that I survived my first synthetic insulin free day since December 19, 2011. Does anybody else find this as insanely awesome as I do? What a freakin' journey. I went to the doctor with all the classic symptoms of diabetes. I had an A1C of 13, a blood sugar level of 569, a C Peptide level of .55. In common English that translates to "YOU HAVE DIABETES DUDE!" This to me was an unbeatable disease, that's what everybody said. But in those early days I forgot a very powerful truth.

Unbeatable is not the same as unfightable.

I am very very lucky right now. My doctor has said it before and I've realized it many times since. I'm lucky. I've reversed every number that I just listed. My A1C continues to drop, and if I continue on my current trajectory I hope to get back an A1C under 7 when I get blood work done next week. My blood glucose was 67 last I checked and my C Peptide is 1.65, back in the healthy range.

Now, just because I've stopped taking insulin doesn't mean my Diabetes is in remission or anything like that. I'm still on 6 pills a day. I suffer lows an highs on a daily basis. But remember this:

A diagnosis is not a death sentence.


There are two ways to deal with being diagnosed with any type of Diabetes. You can bend over and allow Western medicine and western doctors to make a statistic out of you, or you can do everything in your power to maintain as close to normal health as possible. Make changes. Be an outlier. And keep up the good fight!

Dailies:

10:43 -> 89 This is my first fasting sugar level after not taking basal insulin. Took 2 Prandin with cereal 110c. At 1:30 had strawberries 30c. At 2:00 had 2 mandarin oranges 17c. At 3:30 had blueberries and nuts 10c. At 4:30 had an apple 25c in anticipation of a workout. Ran with sprints, about 4 miles.
5:30 -> 75 Took 2 Prandin with dinner: lentil soup with rice 100c and salad 30c and 2 mandarin oranges 17c. At 8 had strawberries 30 and fake coffee 4c. At 9:30 had an apple 15c, a cookie 10c and my last orange 9c.
12:31 -> 67 Took 2 Prandin with supper: red cabbage and squash 100c (that's a LOT of cabbage) and beans 57c and quinoa 30c.
3:26 -> 182 I'm not unhappy with this number. A little high, sure, but not so high, and since it's three hours since my last pills I'd guess this number is heading down. Will be interesting to see my morning number on what will be Day 2 of the experiment!

Gratitudes:
1. I held my blood sugar under 200 on my first day off insulin.
2. I felt compelled to periodically sprint during my run today.
3. The sun was out and the sky was clear. Spring is almost here.

Doc told me last time I saw her that she wanted my body to "cool down" which was the reason for ditching the Gluten and for ramping up the vitamins. Well, I'd say my body's pretty cool right now.

Day 78

1 comment: