The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Blue Zones

If you ever catch me talking about what started me down my exploration of wellness then you've probably heard about the Blue Zones. I started working out around the age of 15 when I discovered crew. But it wasn't until five years later when I learned about the other aspects of wellness. You see, the recipe for living forever isn't just eating right and exercise. It's more comprehensive than that, it encompasses your entire lifestyle and includes things you may not expect. But don't take my word from it. These lessons were learned from centenarians around the world.

The idea of "Blue Zones" started when National Geographic writer Dan Buetner decided to write an article about a region of Sardinia with unnaturally high occurrences of longevity. After going there he was overwhelmed by just how true this claim was. Not only were people living longer, but they were living healthier. Many of the people he witnessed showed the mental and physical capacity of people 20 years their junior. After the article was published more and more of these "Blue Zones" (areas he circled on a map with a blue pen... the name stuck) started popping up. One in Okinawa, Japan; one in Ikaria, Greece; Another in Costa Rica; One surprisingly in Loma Linda, California.

I followed his progress and was equally awestruck. It changed the way i thought about health and wellness, and made me reexamine my life goals.

Since then I've wandered away from the study, found other books, discovered new philosophies, listened to people, experts, friends, etc. Then Diabetes and the rest hit me and I've been a bit lost in the midst of it all. But over dinner the other night the topic came up and I was happy to share what I remembered of this study. I wanted a visual example and went online to show the videos of their progress in Greece and found...



... there were now videos documenting some of their research in Japan and Costa Rica too!! I'll give you one guess how I spent the next hour. Just seeing the vitality in those centenarians thrills me to no end. I hope that others are as affected as I am by this fascinating exploration of lifestyle.

Dailies:

10:43 -> 78 Took 2 Prandin w/cereal 120c, apple 15c, pumpkin seeds 4c, cookie 18c.
1:54 -> 210 Too high... may be time to get back on Novolog. The Prandin just isn't working fast enough to avoid these highs. Had an orange 14c at 3:20.
4:53 -> 67 Well, at least it works. Took 3 P w/black eyed peas 115c, salad 30c, apple 23c, orange 14c, grapefruit 25c. At 9:30 had cookie 18c. At 11:30 had a glass of white wine.
12:56 -> 73 Had 1 Prandin with brussel sprouts 20c, chips w/salsa 20c, apple sauce 10c, and yellow pepper 7c.
3:03 -> 108 Took 3 units of Lantus with a piece of toast w/pb 15c.

Tomorrow I get more blood work done. If the C Peptide is lower I'll go back to insulin. If the Thyroid hormone is lower I'll start taking supplemental hormones. Either way knowledge is the path to balance.

Day 99

No comments:

Post a Comment