The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Becoming Vegan



If you read my blog diligently and have a savant like brain for picking up on details and patterns then this may come as no surprise to you. Last week I decided to cut meat and dairy out from my diet. I read some compelling literature on the subject after which I decided I owed it to myself to give it a try and see how it affected my body.

I waited a week to announce this new dietary plan publicly because I wanted to give my body a chance to adapt and I also wanted to see for myself if it was something I could do. Both of those stories now have an ending. Just a few days after cutting out meat and dairy from my diet I had enough daily lows to cut out insulin injections completely. I've posted thrice on the subject but it still boggles my mind. I am NOT taking any insulin and haven't for four days now. As for the question of my ability to be vegan I've found it easier than I thought.

If you are the type of person who becomes anxious or worried at this news can I ask you to focus your energies on researching the subject before expressing your concerns to me. I am a person who has done quite a bit of research over the years on nutrition, who takes care of himself, who knows how to cook, and who REALLY likes food. I am no bird-like girl turning vegan to lose weight. I'm becoming vegan so that my body becomes ultimately efficient, so that I reach my maximum physical potential. I want to get bigger and stronger, but I want to do that while eating loads of beans and legumes, leafy greens, vegetables, fruit and hearty whole grains and all metabolized by my own insulin! If you think I'm at risk of being nutrient deficient in one capacity or another check out the short hand of what I eat (included at the bottom of every post) and see if it's missing. If it is, feel free to inquire and I'll do my best to explain how/where I get this or that nutrient. And if it turns out that I AM deficient, I'll happily make adjustments to correct it.

Dailies:

11:40 -> 113 Took 2 Prandin with Cereal 110c, 2 apples 30c, 2 oranges 17c, a larabar 24c and a bit of chocolate 5c.
5:32 -> 70 Took 2 Prandin with dinner from the Whole Foods hot bar: mung beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, kale, spinach, seaweed salad, cabbage salad, wild rice, okra, approximately 110c, apple 25c, snap peas and pb 6c, cookie 10c, toast 10c, hummus 5c.
9:21 -> 103 I checked here because I really guessed the carbs of my dinner and didn't want to find myself low while on stage. 103's alright, but since the pills work slowly I played it safe and had another Larabar (my go to for raising my glucose) 31c.
11:26 -> 61 Good thing I had the Larabar. Took 2 Prandin with black beans 67c, quinoa 40c, chorizo 13c, kale 4c, apples 30c, orange 9c, shot of fernet branca.
2:56 -> 111 I'm tempted to go to bed, but really I'd feel safer if this number were a little higher. Had some AMAZING cabbage and squash 15c, I'll post the recipe later, and apple sauce 10c.

Gratitudes:
1. Free tickets to the Moma.
2. Gluten free and vegan foods that still feel "naughty".
3. Fellowship with a friend on their B-day.

Day 80

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to experience your vegan diet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz is in touch with a doctor who will analyze your (excuse the technical term) urine and recommend diet,etc. for your conditions. He writes a newsletter where he stated "The only cure for diabetes is veganism." !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding that doctor's statement to be truer and truer each day.

      Delete
  3. avocado and leek soup is super tasty. You should have some.

    ReplyDelete