The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Recipe: Red Cabbage

Hey guys,

I was experimenting in the kitchen a bit and ended up totally falling in love with the outcome. I'll probably end up making this at least every other week if not more often, it's just that dang good.

Red Cabbage recipe

20oz of Butternut squash cut into 1-2 inch cubes
1/2 a head of cabbage, sliced thinly, as if making sauerkraut
16 oz of water
heaping tablespoon of miso
heaping tablespoon of tahini
heaping tablespoon of minced garlic
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
sunflower seeds to taste

So the preparation is super simple. I started with a 3-inch deep saute pan on high medium high heat and filled it with the water. As the water started boiling I threw in the butternut squash on the bottom. I let that cook for a few minutes and then added all of the cabbage and put a lid on the pot. After about 5 minutes on medium high heat the cabbage should have reduced in size to about half. At this point you want to add the miso, tahini, garlic and vinegar, stir them all in thoroughly and reduce the heat to a simmer. This would be a good time to add water if you want the outcome to be thinner and closer to a soup, or thicker to be served as a side dish. Add the sunflower seeds, I sprinkle them pretty liberally, remove from heat and serve.
This should probably serve a bunch of people, but I've eaten an entire pot myself before. There are roughly 100 carbohydrates in this dish.

This dish is so good, I am literally sad right now typing out this blog and knowing that I've already finished all of the leftovers from the last time I made it.

And now to bed with fingers crossed that my body is working as well as possible tomorrow when I get blood work done.

Dailies x 2:

March 12, 2012
12:31 -> 113 Took 2 Prandin with cereal 110c, ran about 3 miles with 5 hill sprints, 3 of which were "Cardiac Hill."Had a grapefruit 25c and 2 kiwis 20c. At about 6:00 had an apple 20c.
7:10 -> 73 Had maybe 170c worth of Whole Foods hot bar food. At midnight had a Larabar 26c.
1:04 -> 95 Took 2 Prandin with rice 46c, beans 35c, cabbage stew 15c, salad 20c.
3:28 -> 162 Hmm... A bit high for my liking. Is this a sign that I'm creeping back up? Should I go back on the insulin?

March 13, 2012
12:20 -> 125 Not good. This is the highest fasting number I've had in awhile. Maybe it's time to go back on basal insulin. Took 2 Prandin with cereal 110c (substituted chia seeds for yogurt), rowed 2x5000m at about 2:00.00 (slow) then had apple 20c.
3:46 -> 93 Took 2 Prandin w/ salad 30c, rice 63c, lentil soup 90c = 189c. At 8:30 (intermission) had a grapefruit 25c, peanuts and snap peas 8c.
11:11 -> 55 Nice to see the Prandin still works. Could be time of day or the affects of the workout that brought me low despite a lot of carbs. Had a kiwi 10c then took 2 Prandin with 2 yams 110c, fennel 15c and carrots 10c = 145c
1:19 -> 265 Woah, what the heck? I even reckon I overestimated the yams, and a 210 point jump? And I'm still a bit hungry. I'm going to need to start taking a larger dose at night I think. I'll chug some vinegar water and see if I can't salvage a decent number for my blood work tomorrow.

Those numbers won't do. The keen reader will see that my calorie intake was a bit on the low side and yet my evening number was super high. No, that won't do. Tomorrow I'll try taking 3 Prandin with my afternoon meal, eating more, and then eating less with 2 Prandin in the evening.

Days 83 & 84

No comments:

Post a Comment