The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Blood Work: Part 4

I got my blood results today. This is the fourth time I've had blood work done. The first time was with my initial visit to the doctor. The second time only a few weeks later. The third was six weeks after that, and the fourth (most recent) was last week, three months from my initial diagnosis. There's no point in building suspense, I have to take the numbers and the results as a quarterly check in, to see how I'm doing. As always seems to be the case there was some good news and some bad news. The good news was good, the bad news... well, you'll see. (I'm recording these from memory, when I get a copy of the blood work I'll copy edit to make sure all numbers are accurate.)

GOOD NEWS:
Hemoglobin A1C:
6.1% This is amazing news. If I can maintain this number for life it is unlikely that I'll ever experience diabetic complications. Other than a freak high or low, complications are the biggest fear/concern (or should be) of all diabetics. A 6.1% A1C means that my average blood sugar level is about a 126.

Total Cholesterol: 126 Also amazing news. Cholesterol levels are a great indicator of heart and artery health. Even a level of 150, though well below the acceptable level as stated by the American Heart Association of 210, has been shown to increase your chance of heart disease. When I first got tested I was a 170, which is a good number for an American, but a bad number for a diabetic who is determined to live a long healthy life. A 126 on the other hand is amazing! I have to attribute this to my new dietary choices.

BAD NEWS:
C-Peptide:
.53 This number will continue to fluctuate, a symptom of type 1.5 diabetes, and one of the biggest challenges I'll face in the next few months/years. The number indicates how much insulin my own body is producing. As this number increases so does my natural insulin production making my blood sugar more stable. As this number goes down (.5 is low) I'll be prone to higher and higher blood sugar levels. In response to this number my doctor put the responsibility of treatment in my hands. In her own words she reminded me that I knew how the Lantus and Novolog and Prandin worked, and to search for a balance with any combination I felt appropriate.

TH: Low. I forget the actual number, but this represents the hormone produced by the Thyroid. Mine is hardly producing at all. I am now the proud new recipient of hypothyroidism (more on that later). She's going to give me two weeks and then have me repeat this blood test. If the results stay the same or get worse I'll have yet another pill...to take daily...for the rest of my life.

So the good news is after a mere 3 months, the things that are in my power to control have been controlled. I've virtually disease proofed myself against a host of complications, and proved to myself that I'm smart enough, willful enough and strong enough to do that.

The bad news is that for the unforeseen future I'm shooting at a moving target when it comes to blood sugar regulation. I'll have to be flexible and alert. And the next few weeks may be rough. Hypothyroidism can cause sluggishness, fatigue, depression, etc. I fear a weekend trip to the Hamptons is only a temporary fix.

Dailies:

11:30 -> 138 That's the highest fasting level I've had since February 4th, not a great sign. Took 2 Prandin with cereal 110c. Walked several miles.
2:44 -> 123 That's better, I guess I'm still producing some insulin. Took 3 Prandin with black eyed peas 100c, apple 30c, clementine 9c, grapefruit 26c, lentils 20c. At 6:00 had bagel with pb & banana 55c
6:50 -> 117 Woah! Awesome, that right after having a bagel too! Had a piece of bread with hummus 20c. Performing as Joey. At 8:30 I had a cupcake 12c, pumpkin seeds 6c, and bread with jam 16c. At 12:00 I had a shot of tequila and a Larabar 26c.
1:54 -> 105 Great! Took 2 Prandin with salad 30c and brussel sprouts with cabbage 30c. If I'm above 150 before bed I'll take 2 units of Lantus with a little snack.
3:21 -> 104 Wow! Looks like the Prandin is still working today. I'll have an orange 20c and some blueberries 16c and go to bed.

Day 91

1 comment:

  1. FYI- Although hypothyroidism is supposed to cause sluggishness etc., do you ever remember me being regularly fatigued? I didn't fit the usual description for this disease either as its supposed to cause weight gain. While I may have this condition, only my morning pill really reminds me that I do.

    ReplyDelete