The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Monday, March 19, 2012

Black Eyed Peas (and bike ride!)

And there are many reasons why.

In anticipation of getting an early morning phone call to go shopping at the Park Slope Food Coop (best produce in the city) I went to bed early the previous night. I explored my neighborhood before 11:00 (when I usually wake up) and found the energy tangible. I also stopped to get a few more vegan flavor enhancers: miso, kombu, dried mushrooms (soon I'll add nutritional yeast to my arsenal as well!).

I got several errands done before noon, before settling down to watch a film. When 2:00 rolled around and I realized that I had been stood up by my workout partner I decided the day was too good to waste indoors and so I took my gorgeous 20 year old Trek 1000 "Sea Way" out for a spin. I started by coasting down the hill, then took a right when I hit a red. This eventually lead me to a bridge, which I crossed, and then was spit out at the hudson river, so I turned north and started pedaling stopping once to pee and drink some water but otherwise just chugging along in t-shirt and shorts with the full force of an abnormally radiant March sun carrying me along. Couples were making out on the green, old men were fishing, children were wobbling along on their scooters and everybody was happy and grateful to be outside in 70 degree weather for the first time all year. Even the cherry blossoms had begun to bloom, explosions of pink as if from a fairy that just vanished. I felt as if I was running from sun and chasing speed. It felt good to go fast, to sweat, my thighs simmering with every rotation. When I hit the 190s I called a friend who lived in the area and then stopped at his apartment. I'm converted.

He pays less for an old three bedroom apartment that was gutted and renovated to be a huge 2 bedroom apartment then I did in queens for a medium two bedroom apt. He has a corner apartment with seven windows on the fifth floor overlooking the cloisters. It's amazing! And I caught him in a 30 minute window of when he was home in the afternoon, before heading off to his birthday dinner, and then I was off again. This time homeward bound.

The ride home seemed much faster despite riding against the wind, with quickly tiring legs and into the sun (I need some sunglasses). I got home right as the sun set, a 35 mile ride in total. If I get more comfortable with that type of mileage I can start going to some pretty exciting places.

Back at home, the black eyed peas I had been soaking all day were ready to be cooked.

Black Eyed Peas

1 onion chopped
4 stalks celery chopped
2 jalepenos chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
7 cloves garlic smashed
3-4 cups soaked and strrained black eyed peas
2 cups kale leaves

Cumin, Paprika, Chili Powder, Coriander, Cinnamon, Apple Cider Vinegar, Salt to taste.

 Brown the onions, celery, jalepenos, bell pepper and garlic and then added the BEPs with water enough to cover them. Next add the cumin, paprika, chili powder, coriander, cinnamon, apple cider vinegar and salt. An hour later I added kale leafs and served. It was divine. For a hungry man I couldn't have asked for a better meal.

I served it along an arugula salad with olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, onions, sprouts and sunflower seeds, and a seaweed (kombu) salad with sesame, rice vinegar and sesame oil.

Dailies:

10:48 -> 129 A tad high for the morning. Took 3 Prandin with cereal 110, grapefruit 25c, apple 15c, yellow pepper 7c, 2 kiwis 20c.
2:17 -> 138 Had indian food with spinach 60c then went for 35 mile bike ride during which ate an apple 15c and apple sauce 30c.
6:40 -> 79 Had 2 clementines 18c, then took 3 Prandin with salad 40c, seaweed 10c, black eyed peas w/kale 100c, then orange 18c and fake coffee 4c and raw bok choy 3c.
1:42 -> 145 Still a bit hungry, I probably should have eaten more right after dinner while the Prandin was still in my body. But supposedly it has a half life of an hour, so now would be too late to eat anything substantial despite being hungry.

Tomorrow I'll have to stuff myself a bit to make sure to make up for the calories burned on the ride.

Day 90

1 comment:

  1. I've actually been using miso paste as a flavoring, and also tried nutritional yeast a little while back. Curious how you'll like it. :-)

    ReplyDelete