The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

No Insulin Today

Okay, I've been keeping a close eye on myself the past week and am finding that I am trending lower and lower. The Prandin usually works pretty slowly on me which isn't such a problem during the day because I snack quite a bit. But at night, I've been taking it with meals two hours before going to bed. My sugar before going to bed is usually high, but then I've been waking up on the low side. My recent mid-sleep hypoglycemic spell pushed me over the edge. I haven't even been very rigorously active recently. I haven't ran or rowed in several days and still my blood sugar seems a bit on the low side all the time.

I no longer feel comfortable going to sleep with both insulin and Prandin working their slow black magic in the night. I also don't feel comfortable performing as the horse in the show for fear that I'll drop mid-show. Today was one such day. I was performing Topthorn, had a few mandarin oranges before beginning, then a piece of toast mid Act 1, then some more goodies at intermission. But then mid Act 2 I felt myself dropping. I quickly had two cookies and when next I checked my sugar nearly an hour later I was at 71.

I refuse to continue this way. I called my doctor today but was told she's on vacation. So, I'm going to use a bit of my own common sense and try a day without insulin. I was going to just lower my dosage from 5 to 3 or something, but that hardly seemed like enough. And to take only 2 or 1 units of basal seems like stabbing myself for nothing.

So to repeat myself: I am not going to take any basal insulin tonight and will see how that affects me tomorrow. If it's a disaster - which I doubt - I'll go right back tomorrow. But with two shows tomorrow, one of which is Joey, and with the promise of 60 degree weather, which my running shoes finds irresistible, I can't imagine my blood sugar being too high. We shall see.

Dailies:

11:42 -> 62 This is a very low morning number, especially considering I had 45 carbs right before going to bed. This is why I'm not taking Lantus tonight. Took 2 Prandin with cereal 110c. Around 1:30 I had a small apple 15c and then a big apple 28c. Walked the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens
3:48 -> 82 Took 2 Prandin with 3 cups lentil soup 90c with kale 6c and rice 35c. At 6:00 had 3 mandarin oranges 26c, nuts 2c and peas w/hummus 10c. At 7:20 had pb toast 14c. At 8:30 finished the snap peas 6c. At 9:15 felt low and had 2 cookies 21c.
11:14 -> 71 Had a salad 30c, then took 2 Prandin with bok choy (szechuan, ginger, lime, coconut oil) 18c, quinoa 24c and adzuki beans cooked in coconut milk with ginger 62c. Fake coffee 8c.
2:45 -> 147 Let the experiment begin!

Gratitudes:
1. Eric's coat.
2. Subway naps - really, they're the best.
3. The Brooklyn Botanical Garden

Day 77

No comments:

Post a Comment