The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Friday, February 24, 2012

The City of Unlimited Choices

Today was rough. Not diabetically, not physically, in fact for no reason related to my condition at all. I had a crappy day at work. It happens, we've all been there, I'll live to see another day.

But a bad work day coupled with more wind and rain than we've had in months gave me a positively negative demeanor. And then I passed this...


Choco Bolo


The sign in the window advertised Chocolate, Cake and Coffee.




Chocolate, Cake and Coffee!



CHOCOLATE, CAKE AND COFFEE!!??

I can't have chocolate because I'm Diabetic. I can't have Cake because I'm Gluten Free. And I can't have coffee, because I gave it up for Lent!! AAAHHhGGGGHHhhH!!!

Sometimes I feel as discriminated against as a black man in rural 1950s Alabama. They're all inside there looking so happy, eating away at their eclairs and viennese tortes, sipping their mocha lattes and macchiatos and mayan sipping chocolate, oblivious to the amount of carbohydrates in each, blind to how hard their pancreases are working, to the caffeine that's running through their bodies artificially spiking their heart rate and adrenal production. Oh I envy you coffee drinking chocolate cake eating affluent kept women of the upper west side with your double decker MacLaren strollers and your dogs with cute sweaters, and your Chanel bags and your precocious little children.

I hope you feel a particularly intense burn of lactic acid when you're at your group pilates class at David Barton's gym. I hope your gyrotonics instructor dropped his shot of wheat grass on his way to work and takes it out on you. So there!

Breath,

breath,

breath...

Phew...

Sometimes, you just need a good shouting session. A time and place to vent and the freedom to do so. It's not always easy, living in the city of a thousand choices with so many restriction on you. It's not easy getting the stink eye from cocktail waiters who, while collecting used beer bottles, realize the Gluten Free bottle didn't come from their bar. But what's not easy is hard (I swear. Look it up in the dictionary if you don't believe me). And doing things that are hard make you stronger.

I'll be strong if you will.

Dailies:

11:23 -> 78 Took 2 Prandin w/cereal 110c and an orange 17c. At 2:15 had toast w/pb 15c. At 3:15 had Larabar 15c.
6:00 -> 89 Took 2 Prandin with Chipotle 110c, apple 20c, peanuts 6c and face coffee 10c.
11:20 -> 102 Took 1 Prandin with dinner: brussels sprouts 18c, salad 20c, apple 20c. Took 5 units of Lantus at about 1:00.
2:15 -> 74 pbgft (peanut butter gluten free toast) 15c. Bed

Day 66

3 comments:

  1. So this means we don't drink coffee together when I come to visit? Hmmmm . . . Shouldn't diabetics be exempt from lent? Those on a strict, diabetic diet, have their own lent all year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - to a lesser degree - I went to Trader Joe's yesterday and was thrilled to see a bread that looked delicious - even though it was rice it had pumpkin seeds and other additions that sounded yummy! It was also gluten-free! I bought it, looking forward to eating it with my gluten-free chicken garlic herb sausage and went home. I told Brit about it and she asked if it was also sugar-free. For some reason, I'd missed that little ingredient. Back to traders and got my money back but it didn't make up for the loss of the bread. That's life, that's life. Onward and upward :)

    ReplyDelete