The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Running Mileage - 4

By the time my alarm let fly its second beep I was standing up, curtains drawn, hands to the ceiling in a glorious morning stretch. There was no third beep. I was full from the previous night's massive dinner so I forwent breakfast, bundled up in wool underwear and a down vest and put the rubber to the pavement for a 4 mile run. The weather was perfect and the run went well. Seth and I each carried his pack (7 pounds maybe?) half the distance. We did about 8 minute miles. Afterward we did some basic parcour drills around a kiddie park until our bodies ached all over.

It feels so good to be able to push my body again, to see the wall approaching and then accelerate through it. And the quality of my soreness has changed. My muscles feel the aftermath of a brutal workout but almost instantly I feel them rebuilding. It's a bit like this scene in Family Guy. Peter represents me, and the various weapons he uses are the various exercises I do. The barn is my muscular system, and the Amish represent cell repair. A better example would show the barn growing each time.

Also I saw my other training partner Peter today. He gave me a high five with the careless force of demolition ball - proof that he's been hitting the gym. Accountability, an oft overlooked but so crucial element in any training program. If you lack the mental strength to hold yourself accountable then bypass that weakness and find yourself a workout partner, or better yet two, or three. The more the better. If you're in NYC contact me. I'll workout with you.

Today also marked the first day of Broadway Bowling League. I bowled a 113 (pretty bad), but I also clocked the fastest single bowl of 21.4 mph. So I guess I half won...?


Numbers:

10:43 -> 130 Even though I'm probably high because of fat last night I'm going to take this as a sign and replace my Lantus.
1:02 -> 84 Just finished 4 mile run with exercises in the park which caused a 46 point drop. Must remember this for TM time. Cereal 110c, protein shake 5c = 115 = 2 units. At 2:24 I had vitamins and an apple 20c and at 5:20 I had peanuts 5c.
6:59 -> 72 Knew I'd be a little low because it had been a long time since my last proper meal. Dinner: Chicken, broccoli rabe 11c, spinach 12c, pb cookie 25c, coffeecake 20c, coffee 5c = 73c = 1 unit.
11:22 -> 100 Pb&j 50c, 1/2 grapefruit 13c = 63c = 1 unit. At 1:41 I took 5 units of my new Lantus.
2:47 -> 81 Because of my big workout this morning I'm going to protect nocturnal hypoglycemia with a shake: peanut butter 6c, almond milk 2c, protein powder 4c, ice = 12c.


With rehearsal tomorrow cancelled I have big plans for tomorrow. Taking my bike out for a spin, and maybe some writing, and errands. The future looks bright indeed!

Day 52

1 comment: