The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Gluten Free Beers

I'm beat. A two show day and a mid-day workout of 10 quick sprints up a three story flight of stairs. So here's a quick round-up of a few beers I've had. All of them surprised me, in a good way. I'm also pleased to announce that there is some diversity between them so I'll start keeping them all on stock if such an opportunity arises.

GLUTEN FREE BEER!!!



Bard's Beer - Bards was a good place to start. I entered with very low expectations and yet it's cold crisp and pleasantly hoppy taste resurrected my faith in a benevolent God. This is beer, gluten free beer. There was a slight metalic taste and the aftertaste reminded me of my college red cup days, but it will suffice in a pinch and is worth the adolescent memories for the first few sweet sips. My life will not be beerless, just no more beers at bars. That's like going to the dentist expecting root canal and finding out it's just a cavity. It's a beer I'll drink if it's handed to me.

Greens - This is the closest I'll get to the Trappist Ales I've had to cut out of my diet. It is Belgian made which automatically makes it the best gluten free brewery in the world. It is the most expensive (to be expected) but has incredible depth, high alcohol content, and a robust sweetness that only comes from a Dubbel style beer. This is the cadillac of gluten free beers, best enjoyed cold, slowly, in a proper mug with a plate of strong cheese, gluten free bread, and a steaming pot of mussels.

New Grist - This beer was [very] light, crisp with a bit of a syrupy aftertaste. This will be the beer to fill those endless warm summer nights outside listening to the cicadas and crickets, or sailing down the coast of California, waves tickling my bare feet that hang over the deck, sun bleaching my saltwind swept hair. I guess what I'm trying to say is, though it's no wheat beer, it is similar enough in flavor quality to a Blue Moon to be my go to when I'm hankerin' for a fruity beer that is still masculine.

Redbridge - Of the four, Redbridge is the best all purpose beer. I'd be equally comfortable drinking this out of a tall and sexy glass at a Vegas club (although why would I be there?), or straight from the bottle at a monster truck rally. This is the beer for poker night, for drinking with a burger, for camping trips and tailgate parties, or for washing down the body aches of a long day working with your hands building a deck, or mending a fence or painting a house. It's gluten-free America in a bottle. Tastes like freedom.



Dailies:

12:00 -> 116 Took 2 Prandin with cereal 110c. At 1:00 apple 20c. At 2:00 had pb toast 15c and fake coffee 10c.
5:45 -> 68 After a few sprints up some stairs. Took 2 Prandin with 32 oz of chili 100-120c? At 8:00 had an apple 20c and quiche 35c. At 10:45 had half a beer.
12:01 -> 64 Based on this number I'd guess the chili was closer to 100c. Had a huge salad w/avocado 35c and chicken. Took my 5 units of Lantus.
2:45 -> 87 I'm going to sleep on this number. I'll keep sugar nearby, but honestly I imagine this to be slowly creeping up. I'll probably wake at 100.

Thoughts: I think the key to using Prandin successfully for me is understanding that it's affect on me is slow. Two of my pre-meal numbers were in the 60s and yet both times I didn't panic at all, felt no low affects and ate shortly afterwards. Those are not 60s that are dropping fast, but simply a reflection of a pancreas that is slowly ticking away and dealing with my obscene amount of food. One day soon I'll probably do a few 2-hour after my meal checks to make sure I'm not having any huge spikes as I was in the early days of Prandin.

Day 68

1 comment:

  1. Your writing is so vivid and nuanced. I'm seeing a beer calendar: Bard's beer sounds like September,
    Greens- Nov. or Dec., New Grist - August and Redbridge - July. Each toasting to the new month!

    ReplyDelete