The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Taking Prandin

Prandin, a new solution I'm trying out to help with my blood glucose control. It's a pill that comes in .5, 1, or 2 mg forms. It's like feeding Red Bull to your pancreas. Click the link to learn more about it, but basically it encourages your pancreas to produce its own insulin. I was told originally to take it with my meal and that the number of carbs in my meal shouldn't really make a difference. I'm also to take the pill in place of Bolus Insulin. That means I'll go from 4 shots to 1 today, taking only a paltry 5 unit dose of Lantus before going to bed.

Let the experiments begin!


Numbers:

11:21 -> 78 This is the lowest I've ever woken up at but it's quite a good number. I blame the two glasses of wine from the previous night. Had a 1/2 Larabar 13c then rowed 10k at 1:55.7 rate 22.
12:40 -> Cereal 110c, apple 20c = 130c = NO INSULIN I'm taking one Prandin instead.
3:00 -> 128 Starting the show as Crow.
8:04 -> 79 At 6:00 I felt sweaty and confused so had Pez 9c, then had chicken. Dinner: rice 60c, endives 20c, chicken, 2 apples 40c = 120c = NO INSULIN I'm taking one Prandin instead. At 9:30 had an orange 21c, salad 5c and sake.
11:16 -> 163
12:50 -> 73 Damn that was a 90 point drop. Mac and cheese 125c, 2 apples 40c and 2 cookies 18c with NO INSULIN one Prandin instead.
(now for the madness)
2:46 -> 325 F me!! I was going to go to bed but I can't now. Where did that come from?
3:11 -> 380 AAAAHHHH!!! The only symptom I feel is eye irritation, but why is the number climbing??? This is the highest number I've had since getting diagnosed. Is it from feeling ill? From the pill? From too many fast carbs at dinner? Going to bed but setting my alarm for an hour from now.
4:17 -> 297 Phew!! Still not a good number but at least it's going down. If it had gone up I would have called Mariss/my nurse/my doctor/gone to the freakin' hospital. But it's going down, at last, so I'll go to sleep.


So: What did I learn?
1. Getting sick, any kind of sick messes with your hormones and drives you a bit high. Expect this in the future.
2. Never eat an entire meal made of simple (bad) carbs. If you want to have indulgences you need to balance them and have them in modest amounts. Sorry buddy.
3. I still have to count carbs with Prandin. Breakfast and Lunch seemed alright with about a 120:1 pill ratio (oy vey! Must I eat in increments of 120 carbs?).

Tomorrow I'll call the doc and see if I can't shine some light on this ordeal.

Day 55

1 comment:

  1. I agree with "never make a meal out of simply the bad carbs." Sorry you had to endure such a bad night's sleep. :(

    ReplyDelete