The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Friday, February 3, 2012

Diabetic Inspiration - Invictus

Last night was the first night I spent by myself in the new apartment. I really love it. Seven and a half solid hours of sleep followed by a run in the park (5 full-out sprints of about 150 meters) and then a delicious breakfast.

I also finished reading a book which was excellent titled "Manvotionals: Timeless Wisdom and Advice on Living the 7 Manly Virtues." It is a collection of letters, essays, stories and poems on each of the virtues written by presidents, scholars, generals, poets, novelists and philosophers. I will from time to time transcribe some of my favorites in this blog and today I'd like to start with one of the better known poems:

Invictus
From a Book of Verses, 1889
William Earnest Henley


Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.



Amazing, right? This poem was written by a man that struggled and persevered. There is a lesson here for the learning, should we choose to do so.


My Numbers:

12:27 -> 109 Awesome - Had half a Larabar 14c and then went for a 45 minute workout including 5 sprints of about 150 meters.
1:48 -> Breakfast: Cereal 110 and toast with peanut butter 20c, and all my vitamins = 130c = 3 units.
5:23 -> 84 Dinner: Salad with avocado 25c, quinoa 60c, beans 67c, kale 2c, soy chorizo 13c = 167c = 4 units. BUT - had an apple 18c when I got to work at 7:00, then 3 oz wine, 6 oz coffee 2c. At 9:30 I had another apple 16c.
9:52 -> 130 I checked because I was feeling a tad shaky and definitely hungry. From my dinner injection to now was a 50:1 ratio. I think I'll go back to that tomorrow.
1:03 -> 85 Nice! Dinner: brussels sprouts with balsamic and bleu cheese 18c, quinoa 60c, lentils 115c, 1/2 grapefruit 15c = 208c = 5 units Novolog and 5 units Lantus.
3:28 -> 74 Yeah, I felt a little lower than I should have been. I finished the grapefruit 15c and had a cookie 9c. It seems my carb ratio should be adjusted to at least 45:1 if not 50:1 with the amount of working out I'm doing.

Tomorrow with doing Joey in the morning and working out between shows I'll definitely go for a 50:1.


Day 46

1 comment:

  1. You can't always control what befalls you in life, but you can choose how you will respond to it.

    I heard the poem "Invictus" in the Denzel Washington film: The Great Debaters. I'm proud of how well you are managing your condition. Big Mama Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete