The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Gluten Free Challenge


It was in Turkey back in September of 2009 that I really understood for the first time the purpose of giving something up for Lent. It does not feel so long ago that I was there, wandering the stalls of the Istanbul spice market, feasting on river fish, fresh figs, walnuts crushed with honey and cheese, sipping their dark and syrupy tea in a glass delicately held between my two fingers. A few days later I was on my own in the small seaside town of Amasrat, where I could sprawl on great sun baked rocks and watch the locals exchange village gossip or sit themselves in the shade of the cliffs. But it wasn't until I went to Bolu, a large but unimportant town in central Turkey that the meaning became clear.

Let me start by explaining that there is nothing in Bolu. It is a very dull place unless you are being hosted, which I suppose I was. He met me at the local park, spotting me easily, a tall blonde man made whiter by the goopy thick sunscreen I bought from the nearest convenient store. I've since forgotten his name but he was a slight man, short, dressed in a short sleeved collard button up one size to big tucked into his khaki shorts which were cinched tightly in an effort to give him the waist his God overlooked. When we met he was tired and irritable, nursing a headache and fatigue, but he put his physical troubles aside and took me to a local favorite spot of his for some food. I ordered two sandwiches and some exotic pastries before it dawned on me that he was a very religious man.

September of 2009 was Ramadan, a time of year when Muslims eat only when the sun is down. If you're thinking, "hey, I could just become nocturnal for the month" then you're just where I was two years ago. But even if you did choose to spend your Ramadan sleeping during the day and dining in the dark, which wouldn't be so fun after a few days, you'd be missing the point. As it was explained to me by my Turkish host, the point is to experience life, if only while the sun is up, as the poor and hungry do. He had been fasting since 5am, no food, no water and it was nearly sun down and still in the mid 80s. To feel, actually feel the hunger and the thirst is to understand better their lives. There is no better foundation for compassion than this shared experience.

That night when the sun finally went down he met with friends around a table sagging under the weight of the food. It was a buffet set for kings and as they filled themselves with all the bounty of the very generous Turkish land I saw them come to life again, enjoying food as you never can when it's always there. They had gained an appreciation for the gift of nourishment.

It's not Ramadan, and I'm not Muslim. But tomorrow is Ash Wednesday which means the beginning of Lent. I don't think I've successfully given something up for Lent in years, or even decades. Partially this was due to laziness (I couldn't think of anything big enough not to feel guilty but small enough not to really change my day to day life), partially this was due to a lack of motivation. I asked myself, "what's the point? Why should I give up chocolate... beer... ice cream? What will that teach me?" But those questions are selfish.

And so I come to my challenge for you.



I challenge you, the readers of this blog to learn what it is to be afflicted by gluten free living, to walk for a month in the footsteps of Celiacs and others with dietary restrictions around the world. Feel the small burden of our daily restrictions and sacrifices and know that no matter how annoying it may get, some day your inconvenience will end, but ours is for life.

I welcome you to share your experiences as comments on this post. What was the hardest thing to give up? What did you crave the most? What new foods did you learn to love? How did you find eating at restaurants? Would you be able to make the switch if you had to? I hope we all grow from the experience.

Dailies:

10:33 -> 116 Higher than I've been in the morning, I blame my late night. Took 2 Prandin w/Breakfast: Cereal 110c, banana 25c. At 1:00 had an orange 20c.
3:10 -> 108 Took 1 Prandin with Lunch: 1/2 rotisserie chicken, plantains 70c, salad 5c. At 5:00 had 1/4 protein bar 6c, peanuts 6c, 1/2 orange 10c and teeccino 7c. At 8:30 had peanuts 7c and 1/2 orange 10c.
10:48 -> 79 Took 2 Prandin with Dinner: Salad w/quinoa 60c, asparagus with onions 30c, bagel 26c, banana 26c, peanut butter 8c = 150c.
1:54 -> 256 Felt high, was high. The bagel was too much which is too bad. It was really really delicious. I'm sure I'll drop into range by tomorrow as the Lantus and Prandin continue to work.

Lessons:
1. Don't overshoot it late at night, it's easier to correct a low at night than a high.
2. If you aren't very active during the day expect your ratio to be smaller than usual. Afer the run I was almost 240c:2 pills. Today 150c:2 pills is too high.
3. If you don't sleep long enough you tend to run a little less efficient which can lead to highs.

As for me, since I'm already gluten free, I'm giving up caffeine.

Day 63

5 comments:

  1. I made key lime pie for my and Natalie's birthday the other day. Except we had a gluten free pie crust (buckwheat), and the filling wasn't the traditional key lime filling. Instead it was made from avocado, honey, and lime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll need that recipe at some point. It sounds delicious!

      Delete
  2. You're on! I've already pledged to give up sugar (not the naturally found in fruits sugar, etc.) for Lent - but I will up the ante by giving up gluten as well. Can only bring me an empathetic experience with you, and also make me healthier in the process. Great blog btw !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Way to go! I'm glad to know that I'll have somebody there with me this month.

      Delete
  3. I don't know if you know this, but I've been practically gluten-free for about five months now, and intend to keep this up as long as possible. So I am quite happy to continue in this, knowing I'm also sympatico with you. :-)

    I think a lot of people have the mistaken impression that gluten = grain, which of course is not so. I still eat quite a lot of grain, but it's in the form of quinoa, amaranth, brown rice pasta, gluten-free bread, etc. And thankfully, I like all those things just fine! :-)

    Since I've given up gluten (and dairy too, actually, except for a bit of goat cheese) the severe itching I used to suffer from at night has almost completely disappeared. Hence the reason I want to continue. :-) I also like the creativity involved in discovering substitutions.

    Forward we go!

    ReplyDelete