The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Friday, February 10, 2012

I'm in Love with my Bike

I can't really remember the last time I bought a bike. I used my dad's 20 year old mountain bike the summer of 2009, and before that I hopped around on different used and busted hoopdies. But this bike called out to me. A good metaphor for love. I wasn't even looking when I found it at last. It's perfect - my size, my style, fast, sturdy, classic.

Even though it's mid winter I was desperate to take her out for a spin. So today I threw on my new biking shoes, a down vest, and some wool leggings and clipped in. The virgin ride was a mere 8 miles, two laps of Prospect Park which was all my ungloved hands could take. Forty degrees may not be cold when your walking, but when your barreling down a hill at 30 mph it makes what started as dry skin into chapped and bleeding skin. But the speed was thrilling, and over the course of the ride I became familiar with the mounting and dismounting of clip pedals.

I guess I'm in the market for some riding gloves, and maybe a few better suited pairs of leggings to match.

Numbers:

11:27 -> 102 Breakfast: Salad 30c, snow peas 8c, grapefruit 26c = 64c = 1 unit. Went on an 8 mile bike ride. Had 6c beverage.
3:34 -> 80 Lunch: Brussels sprouts and broccoli 20c, salmon, rice 70c, beans 44c, protein shake 50c, apple 20c, chips 20c, orange 15c and my vitamins = 243c = 4 units.
6:11 -> 85 Checked because I was feeling a little bit lightheaded. To prepare for Joey I had an apple 20c, macadamia nuts 4c, coffee 4c. During Act 2 I had 12c of a Larabar.
12:54 -> 76 Dinner: Salad 30c, sweet potatoes 50c, shrimp 5c, beans 44c, chips 20c, grapefruit 26c, 2 cookies 18c = 194 = 3 units Novolog and 5 units Lantus.
3:33 -> 171 Bummer, that's the highest I've been in almost a week. I wonder why. I guess I did have 14c too many at dinner, but I didn't want to be low before bed. I did start to go low during dinner, as if the insulin was working faster than the sugar. Hypothesis: The insulin reacted faster than my food causing hypoglycemia mid meal, but post meal the insulin started wearing off whereas the fat from the meal finally allowed the carbs to be broken down causing late hyperglycemia.

I hope I wake tomorrow between 80-125.

Day 53

No comments:

Post a Comment