The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Monday, February 27, 2012

Three Gratitudes

I'd like to share a video I came across on the internet. It's a lecture given at the 2012 Ted Talks by Shawn Achor about happiness. It's pretty remarkable, but there are a few things in particular that I took from it.



1. Only 10% of your happiness is determined externally, as in affected by your surroundings. The other 90% has to do with you and the way you look at the world.
2. You can improve your 90% with a few simple daily exercises. He includes: 3 daily gratitudes, journaling, exercise, meditation, random acts of kindness.

This means that even though I'm a super happy guy generally I can be happier still. I take on his challenge. For the next week I'll list three things I'm grateful for each day. So here goes nothing!

Gratitudes:
1. I'm grateful today that I was able to put together a great show for a sold-out audience.
2. I'm grateful for the opportunity to see Spider Man: Turn Off the Dark.
3. I'm grateful I have friends willing to join me for a Sunday night of jazz guitar.

That was easy. There are tons more, but three for now.

Watch the video, get inspired.


Dailies:

10:37 -> 99 Took 2 Prandin w/cereal 110c. Apple 20c at 12:30, and another 20c at 2:00
2:47 -> 120 Good Pre-Joey number. Had fake coffee 7c. At intermission (4:30) I had pb toast 14c.
6:21 -> 70 Had a salad 35c. At 11:00 had a glass of red wine.
12:54 -> 89 Took 2 Prandin with dinner: beans 67c, salsa 12c, avocado 15c, chips 18c, brussels sprouts 18c, 2 eggs = 130c. Because it's late I'll probably end up a little high, but that feels like a safer option than going to sleep low, especially because that one glass of wine got me a little tipsy.
2:58 -> 102 Hmm... Because of the wine, and the fact that I took 2 Prandin, and the fact that it's so late I'm going to say that I wanted this number to be a little bit higher before going to bed. The Prandin usually hits me slowly so I don't think it's done working. To play it safe I had 2 cookies 18c that I dunked in peanut butter 4c. I'm such a fatty sometimes.

This video and this message are pertinent to diabetics because they have a twofold risk of becoming depressed compared to the rest of the population based on the National Institute of Mental Health. I don't know the ins and outs of why, but it doesn't take a doctoral degree to realize that newly diagnosed diabetics are vulnerable to feelings of futility and hopelessness that can quickly escalate into depression. Rather than allowing these problems to grow empower yourself with the knowledge necessary to objectively deal with each and ultimately get your life back in under control.

Day 69

1 comment:

  1. He's very funny and slick - and his vision is not horrible - but his process sucks!

    ReplyDelete