The numbers explained:

pbpk weight should be above 180
Fasting & pre-meal blood glucose 80-120
Post-meal blood glucose 120-180
A1C below 7%

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Inspiration: Friends

I've called this blog "The Fittest Diabetic" largely as a way to inspire myself to become just that - the fittest diabetic, or at least the fittest diabetic I can be. It wasn't so long ago that i was frail, weak, dehydrated, cramping, and dangerously hyperglycemic. The memory still shows up in late morning lucid dreams. I started this blog so that I would be reminded every day of my commitment to myself, to transform my body as I haven't done since I was in college. But despite my workouts, and my daily postings, I have been a bit lax. I need more concrete goals, and a plan of attack to achieve those goals, in fitness and in life.

The first lightbulb went off when I was flipping through a newspaper and came across an image of New York Giants long snapper and special teams captain Zak DeOssie '03. This two time superbowl winner taught me how to bench press and was the first person to show me the power of the mind over muscle when lifting weights (although I didn't realize it at the time). His achievement injected me with just a little bit of envy, just a bit, maybe half a unit's worth. Not so much that he has two awesome rings, or that his arms are the size of blue fin tunas, but that he has dedicated himself to achieving a goal... and succeeded. He lived football, it defined him. If i want to be defined as a screenwriter, I better start living the part.

The second metaphorical light bulb went off when talking to good friend and uber-manly man Ian Lassiter. We've been trying to encourage each other to train for a hypothetical future competition. He mentioned he'd been running, but so have I. "How many miles are you doing?" I asked.

"7"

Woah. I talk the talk, he's running the run. That's it. I'm hitting the pavement tomorrow. Sweet ol' Seth is joining me (holding me accountable). I'll report back tomorrow (knee deep in ice no doubt).

11:48 -> 124 Cereal 110c = 2 units.
1:50 -> 100 Man I feel heavy, but the sugar's perfect. Must just be fatigue. I went to bed too late last night. Have to change that.
4:51 -> 81 Dinner: Salad 15c, Chicken w/veg 40c, quinoa 30c, 2 oranges 30c, banana 27c, snap peas 8c, toast with peanut butter 25c = 175 = 3 units. At 6:00 I felt low and had a Larabar 24c.
11:58 -> 83 Supper: Salmon w/broccoli 28c, rice 71c, avocado 16c, 2 apples 40c, chips 19c = 174c = 3 units.
2:25 -> 84 Wow, almost no movement. I think I'm safe to sleep on this. The avocado fat will probably hold back a little sugar anyway. Plus I've never experienced hypoglycemia overnight. I'll keep a pez near my bed.

Day 51

No comments:

Post a Comment